At Iqaluit Dental Clinic, we know the power of a smile and its impact on your everyday life. To restore your smile and bring back that confidence, you can opt for one or more of the many cosmetic dentistry procedures available on the market. You may choose one over the other depending on the cost, advantages and other such factors. Let’s check out cosmetic dentistry procedures to enhance your smile.
1. Dental Veneers – Veneers are thin porcelain shells that are placed on your front teeth. With good oral care and dental hygiene, dental veneers can last you up to a decade. Veneers are usually used for covering up different types of imperfections and flaws including spaces, gaps, staining and discolouration. Dental veneers are designed to look as natural as possible.
If you don’t bring up veneers in the conversation, even your family would fail to distinguish them from your real teeth. This is possible by mapping your teeth and gums and then reshaping your teeth to fit the veneers on the teeth. Every veneer is custom-made for individuals and that’s why they look almost as real as your natural teeth. They can hide most minor imperfections and make your smile even more beautiful.
2. Dental Implants – A dental implant is used for replacing one or more teeth that have been extracted or have fallen out. Apart from that, implants are also used to keep dentures secure in their place and keep them from falling or slipping out. An implant post is inserted deep into the jawbone and allowed to bond and fuse with the surrounding bone.
Once the surrounding bones are fused and the bums healed, the dental implant is permanent and won’t need additional repair or replacement. After that, a dental crown is placed on the implant to create a natural-looking tooth that makes your smile flawless. However, it may not be suited for you if you have shallow or weak jawbones. That’s why you need to consult with your dentist for this procedure.
3. Teeth Whitening – If your teeth aren’t white, it doesn’t mean that they are unhealthy. However, stained teeth do look less appealing and bring down the wow factor of your smile. Your teeth may get discoloured or stained due to your dietary habits and lifestyle choices. You can opt for a professional take-home option or an in-house tooth whitening treatment. For both options, special ingredients are used to make your teeth look brighter and more lustrous and change the yellowed or dull appearance.
Teeth whitening is a temporary process to whiten your teeth and you need to change your lifestyle and dietary habits to avoid teeth discolouration and staining in the future. This is a purely cosmetic procedure and can also be opted right before important events or just for restoring your brilliant and radiant smile.
4. Dental Crowns – A dental crown procedure is used for restoring the upper part of a compromised tooth. A compromised tooth is one that has fractures, cracks or has been broken with a large filling that’s weakening the tooth. Apart from being a cosmetic procedure for restoring a tooth, it is also sometimes seen as a necessary process after a root canal surgery since this type of surgery leaves the tooth open and vulnerable. Crowns are crafted to match your teeth’s exact shape and size and blend seamlessly to restore your beautiful smile. Dental crowns can last for decades if cared for properly.
5. Dental Bridges – A dental bridge is similar to crowns, expect that several teeth are attached in this process for a full restoration. Common dental bridge procedures involve the attachment of two abutments to the surrounding teeth with a pontic tooth in the middle that sits above the gum line.
While dental crowns are used for fixing broken or compromised teeth, dental bridges are used for restoring missing teeth. Dental bridges are usually used for people who aren’t good candidates for dental implants. Similar to crowns, dental bridges are custom-made for individual patients in a dental lab to match the rest of the teeth perfectly.
6. Dental Bonding – Similar to veneers, dental bonding is used to cover up minor imperfections on your teeth. This is a budget-friendly solution compared to expensive veneers that are custom-made for patients. Dental bonding can also be used for patients who have a few teeth shorter than the rest, or uneven teeth. You can also use dental bonding for filling up missing tooth structures where a break or crack has taken place. Small breaks and chips in your teeth can be resolved with bonding.
7. Tooth Reshaping – Tooth reshaping or dental contouring is a cosmetic procedure that involves the removal of a small fraction of your tooth to make your smile more even and uniform. This can be done if you have uneven teeth with a few teeth taller than the rest or if you have small chips at the front of your mouth. Tooth reshaping is amazing for fixing minor dental imperfections that may make you insecure about your smile. Reducing the taller teeth by just a few millimetres can have a significant positive impact on your smile.
8. Orthodontic Treatment – Orthodontic treatments help you fix crowded, crooked or spaced teeth for a smile that looks more even and full. It is mostly used for teens and children to align or straighten their teeth and improve their functionality and the way they look. Apart from its aesthetic value, orthodontic treatments are also used for better oral health, correcting problems with your bite, aligning lips and teeth properly and more.
At Iqaluit Dental Clinic, we suggest that you choose one of the above-mentioned cosmetic dentistry procedures to enhance your smile. You may choose a procedure depending on your unique situation. For instance, if your teeth have good alignment and shape and are stained due to dietary habits, you may choose teeth whitening to brighten up your smile. On the other hand, you can choose dental implants if you’re missing a tooth.